Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Twelve

First read of the new year! I started this last year but just now finished it. Still counts for this year's list.

Source


Good Reads' Synopsis: "At the end of The Passage, the great viral plague had left a small group of survivors clinging to life amidst a world transformed into a nightmare. In the second volume of this epic trilogy, this same group of survivors, led by the mysterious, charismatic Amy, go on the attack, leading an insurrection against the virals: the first offensives of the Second Viral War.

To do this, they must infiltrate a dozen hives, each presided over by one of the original Twelve. Their secret weapon: Alicia, transformed at the end of book one into a half human, half viral—but whose side, in the end, is she really on?"

What I Thought: I really liked The Passage and The Twelve did not disappoint. It's the continuation of a post-apocalyptic world but also goes back to pick up some storylines we did not follow in the first book. My only complaint was the difficulty I had keeping all the characters and how they were connected straight. It seems nearly everyone has a connection to a character who may or may not still be around from the first book. Cronin weaves quite a character-driven web. I liked this but I'm sure some of that went over my head because I was reading so quickly. This was a faster read (and shorter in length) than The Passage and I've just learned it is a trilogy! Starting this series takes a little dedication, especially if this genre isn't something you normally go for. But, the reward is great if you stick with it. Start with The Passage and move directly onto The Twelve!

Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!