Sunday, January 27, 2013

Recipe Reblog: Butternut Squash & Breakfast

In our house, we rotate the same few side dishes for our dinners and we don't get very inventive. Rice, oven-baked sweet potato fries, oven baked regular fries, broccoli, peas. Yep, that about covers it. In an effort to branch out, we tried this alongside some delicious steaks last weekend.

Spice Roasted Butternut Squash: This recipe comes from Food & Wine and cooks up easily with minimal ingredients. Prepping butternut squash is kind of labor intensive. I have yet to find a good way to peel it. I used a peeler. Is that the correct cooking implement? It worked. I liked the spices in this but would have preferred the squash to get a bit crispier. Perhaps a quick pan fry and then baking would do it but that defeats the purpose of an easy side dish, right? If you're looking for a simple squash recipe with ingredients from your pantry, cook this one up.

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Parmesan Cheese: Last Sunday I tried to talk John into going out for breakfast and then we both talked ourselves out of it citing money and calories saved. Instead, I handed him this recipe from the latest edition of Bon Appetit and said, 'get busy.' Don't worry, I wasn't just sitting around drinking coffee. I made scones. We are equal opportunity chefs around here. These eggs were tasty but could have used a bit more salt and pepper than what is recommended. I appreciated the addition of spinach. Always a good idea to start out the day with some vitamin A! I'm just now realizing he skipped the red pepper flakes. That probably would have helped kick up the flavor.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!