Sunday, January 20, 2013

Recipe Reblog: Kale Chips

Confession. I have never had kale before. I love spinach but have been scared of kale for a long time. Actually, years ago I asked John if he would try kale and was met with a horrified look. Knowing it has super food qualities and it's always good to add in more greens when possible, I started looking for recipes to use said leafy green. Enter kale chips. I found two different recipes that seemed easy enough so I made them both yesterday afternoon.

Smoky Paprika Kale Chips: This recipe was in John's Men's Health magazine but the only place I could find it online was Runner's World. (?) The kale gets washed, ribs removed, and ripped into chip size pieces. It's then tossed with olive oil and smoky paprika and baked. I don't really know how these turned out because I burned them. The burned ones tasted nasty. I do not recommend eating them. Clearly, 30 minutes at 400 degrees was far too long and far too hot. I would maybe try these again paying closer attention to temp and time but, they were inedible this round.

Baked Parmesan Kale Chips: These fared much better. Lower temp, less time. They were pretty tasty too with the addition of parmesan cheese. The recipe calls for shredded but I only had the shake on kind and it tasted fine. The flavor was good but I'm not sure I can get behind the kale texture. Once baked, they kind of crumble in your mouth. I'll give it another try but not right away. If you like kale chips already, you'll probably like this recipe. Yes, you can taste the fact that it's kale and not a potato but they are healthier for you which is the whole point, right?

What other kale recipes can you recommend? I have a main dish to make up tonight so stay tuned next week for how that turns out.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!