Thursday, January 31, 2013

Beer Me: Orange & Pils

Two beers for you today that don't have anything to do with each other.



This is Blue Moon's spring seasonal offering, Valencia Grove Amber. Sorry about the grainy picture. 

From their site: "A deep copper amber in color, and it pours with a rich, creamy head. Surround your nose with the aroma of roasted caramel malts and a touch of orange peel."

This was easy-drinking and refreshing, even if it is still January. I liked the combination of citrus and amber. Not at all bitter (only 14 IBU's). Give it a try!

Also, on their site you can vote for one of three special beers to be included in the next winter variety pack. Vote for your favorite (Chocolate Mint, Gingerbread, or Cranberry Tart) and you get two Blue Moon glasses (for $5 shipping). I voted for Chocolate Mint because I've never had anything like that. I already know I like cranberry and gingerbread beers. Exercise your right to the beer vote!




OK, let's be honest. I only bought this beer because the name was funny and the label has pink on it. Eurotrash Pilz is the latest from Southern Tier Brewing Co. (one of my all-time faves). If you are looking for a smooth pilsner, this one is for you.

From the site: "Our mid-winter seasonal beer has the best characteristics of a traditional Pilsner Lager. The bready maltiness and lower (5.2%) abv make it a brilliant session ale, perfect for après-ski or while kicking back watching playoff football."

This paired perfectly with the fish & chips John and I had on Saturday night. And what do you know, the site says it pairs well with seafood. We are so smart. It's a little pricey for a plain ol' pilsner at $10.99/six pack. But, we didn't buy six. See below!


And one of the most exciting things to happen to the beer cooler at the local gourmet grocer? Individually sold bottles! You don't even have to make a full six pack. There are so many varieties that I'd love to try but don't want to commit to 6 bottles if it's no good. Now, for a couple bucks, I can try one, two, or 10! Don't get crazy. I'm not buying 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!