Monday, January 3, 2011

Decision Points

I should start by saying that I’m neither for nor against George W. Bush, especially since he’s no longer running the country. I couldn’t give a good gosh darn. I chose to read Decision Points for a few reasons. 1) I knew John wanted to read it so I already had it on my hold list, 2) I read Laura Bush’s autobiography so I thought I should give full due to the rest of the fam, and 3) I’m trying to broaden my reading horizons. No, it’s not something I normally would have been chomping at the bit to crack open but, I did nevertheless.

Decision Points, Bush’s first book since leaving office in 2008, is more an outline of his major decision points (duh!) while President and less an autobiography. Yes, he discussed many parts of his past, life before the Presidency and the events that led him to the White House. But, like I would have liked more, did not spend a lot of time gabbing about the behind the White House scenes fun stuff. I should have known it wouldn’t be that kind of book. Anyway, chapters on 9/11, Katrina, Iraq, etc. gave very in depth descriptions of what was going through his mind while making the decisions that would guide the fate of the country for years to come.

I actually found a lot of what he had to say very interesting. While the writing was pretty sub-par, it was fascinating to learn more about various events that I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to while they were happening and even more fascinating to read how the media portrayed certain comments/events/reactions from Bush incorrectly. I’m glad I read it. I don’t know that I would really recommend it to anyone who wasn’t already interested in politics but, it had its moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!