Monday, January 24, 2011

Ford County

I am a big fan of John Grisham's. I've read a lot of his books and am slowly working my way up the hold list for his latest offering. Ford County came out a few years ago but I didn't pick it up until my recent failed trip to my new library. Failed because they didn't have anything new to borrow. Anyway, Ford County is a collection of short stories about the residents of Ford County, Missouri. I don't normally read short stories or collections of them but being desperate for books and trying to depart slightly from the norm, I checked it out just the same.

I can't really give you a synopsis of this one. The Ford Countians are an interesting, southern bunch. Some back woods, others not so much. One story deals with three men finding trouble on the way to donate blood. Another tells of a seemingly charming nursing home attendant who preys on his patients' money. A few deal with the law, Grisham's forte. They all showcase the deep south.

This was a very fast read, which was good since I wasn't super into it. The nice thing about short stories is that you feel really accomplished when you finish one. If you like short stories or are looking for something different, try Ford County. If you've never read anything by Grisham, start elsewhere.

Rating: * * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!