Monday, January 17, 2011

The Fiery Cross

First read of 2011! The Fiery Cross is the fifth book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series that I have slowly been slogging through. If you plan on reading this series and haven't made it to this book yet, skip this review! I don't want to spoil anything for you!

In The Fiery Cross, Jamie, Claire and Co. are still on Fraser's Ridge in North Carolina. Having not been married as planned in the last book, Jamie's Aunt Jocasta and friend Duncan Innes are to be wed in the beginning of this book. Sadness befalls the wedding as one of the slave girls is found dead. After the nuptials, dastardly Stephen Bonnet returns! Jamie and Roger realize they must end Stephen's life and spend parts of the entire book trying to find him to do so. Roger eventually finds himself in a near death position; as does Jamie -- in a separate incident. Claire continues making medical strides in a different century and works on trying to figure out if, they wished to, Brianna, Roger and Jemmy could time travel again back to their present day.

OK, that wasn't a very good synopsis. Sorry. Lots more happened but I don't want to give everything away. Also, this book was over 1,400 pages. 1,400!!!! That's like 4 books in one. In fact, I started this some time in December and had to take a break from it to ensure I hit my 50 goal in 2010. So, even though I started this last year, it's still technically my first read this year. And I'd better pick up the pace too. If you're reading and enjoying the Outlander series, this one is good.....just really long.

Rating: * * * * (that's 4 out of 5 stars -- I always rate them on Good Reads so I thought I might as well do so here too!)

P.S. Happy Birthday to my wonderful sister!! Hope you have a lovely day. Miss you, B! Have some cake for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!