Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sleeping Soundly

For me, a room has to be pitch black to be slept in. Pitch.Black. When we go to our hometown and stay with our in-laws, our room is so far from pitch black it's not even funny. I could read by the light coming in the windows there. Likewise, when we visit my parents in Florida, although it's vacation, it's often hard for me to sleep. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. In college, I had a sleep mask. I know, so cool, right? It was extremely helpful in rooms that were anything but dark. Plus, college kids really need their sleep.

I didn't even bother looking for a sleep mask in stores because I knew I could make my own in about 10 minutes, sans pattern. I had some leftover quilted fabric that I thought would block a lot of light and be pretty comfortable on my face. I also had a length of elastic too short for anything else. What luck!

I crudely sketched the outline of a mask.


Then I cut 2 from my sweet pattern. Putting right sides together and shoving the elastic in between, I pulled the 2 elastic ends through the outside about an inch on either side. Then, I stitched around the edge leaving enough space to right-side out the mask. See?


I didn't feel like modeling it. I guess Sadie didn't either. She thought it was pretty tasty though.




Now I can have the sweetest dreams on the weekends! I am happy to report, in its debut, the mask let me sleep until 9:00 am. Well, the mask and John taking over my Saturday morning Sadie duty. Yea for free crafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!